Monday, October 19, 2009

Terms, abbreviations, etc.

If you're unfamilar with the jargon I sometimes forget to avoid using, have a look below.


307 - What I'll call this groovebox, cos I'm too lazy to type MC all the |)@%^ time.

BPM - Beats Per Minute. What some old geezers still refer to as "tempo".

DJ - don't make me smack you.

EM - Electronic Music, or what we all want out of our 307s.

LFO - Low-Frequency Oscillator. An important modifier for altering EM sounds, and found on many synthesis devices.

MIDI - Musical Instrument Digital Interface. The electronic language that allows most electronic instruments to communicate with one another. A huge topic in and of itself.

OS - Operating System. The software that runs the 307. To the best of my knowledge, the latest -- and probably last -- is version 1.03.

TR-REC - REC stands for "recording" of course; TR is a reference to Roland's TR series of drum machines. Using TR-REC turns the pads of the 307 into a sequencer.

UI - User Interface. The knobs, buttons, screen, etc. on the face of the 307 and its internal organization, which is accessed frequently through menus. A source of hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing at 3:30 AM, and the inspiration for this blog.


NOTE: Some posts (like this one) will grow as I learn from readers' comments and my own experience, so I've labeled the likely entries as "Expanding". Other labels are hopefully self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment